SECOND FLOOR FEATURES EXHIBITS RELATING TO THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:
History of Claiborne Parish Education--Pioneer Days/Academy Period/Early Public School Period, Clyde B. Kitchens Room Trophy Room,
A Victorian Parlor, Medical Room with Medical/Dental/Optical/Surgical Artifacts, A Hotel Suite, a 1925 Ford Depot Hack, an antique Carriage, a General Store, David Wade Military Room, Maritzky Store, Geoffrey Beene artifacts and MORE!
*DOUBLE CLICK ON THE THE SLIDE DECK TO OPEN GALLERY.
The General Store
Out of necessity, country stores or general stores, started “popping up” during the colonial period for the many pioneers who lived away from bigger cities. General stores in the 1800s were not just the place to buy groceries, clothing, tools and seed. They often served as a social center and post office. Stacked in shelves and on top of the counters were coffee, teas, spices, hard candies, denim clothing, sewing needles and more. No space within a general store was left empty.
The Victorian Parlor
The very “well-to-do” homes during the Queen Victoria Period were lavishly decorated. The Parlor displays the ornate Renaissance Revival furnishings that were a gift from Mary Reiss and her brother, John of New Orleans. The furniture was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Denis Sirera, their parents in 1875. The setting includes a settee and chairs upholstered with a rich red damask, an elaborately carved rosewood etagere, a hand-painted Pittsburg lamp, an Ansonia clock, and Paris porcelain vases.
The Medical Room
Rural “country doctors” in the 1800s had no vaccines, no laboratory tests, and not many effective medicines. However, they were responsible for treating a wide range of medical problems including broken bones, wounds, chronic conditions, and acute sicknesses such as cholera, yellow fever, typhoid fever, diphtheria, malaria, and tuberculosis. Emergency surgery was harsh with no anesthetic and crude surgical tools. The procedure was often left to the work of city or hospital doctors when it couldn’t be avoided. Featured in the medical room are medical, dental and optical artifacts used by Claiborne Parish physicians from the late 1800s to early 1900s.
The Military Room is for all military enthusiasts. It is named for David Wade who served in World War II, the Korean War, and Viet Nam War. Artifacts from World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict and Viet Nam are on display.
The Hotel Room
Stepping back to the 1800s, travelers would not have the amenities that are presently enjoyed. It was a time of Armoires, chamber pots, a shaving mirror, quilts--not closets, indoor bathrooms, air conditioning, television and cell phones. The room’s main attraction is the ornate Eastlake bedroom suite of Herbert and Ruth Ford. Other items of the period include hand-made linens, quilts, vintage clothing and shoes, a Victorian Empire Sofa, and wax flowers.
Education History Room
The large murals by Mary Frances Robinson depicting a “one-room” school house draw visitors to the Education History Exhibit. Artifacts on display represent the three periods of Claiborne Parish educational history: Pioneer, Academy and Public-School Periods. Some of the many artifacts include a graduation dress worn by Ruth Meadows Ford in 1913, a football helmet dating back to 1925, The Homer Male College bell, circa 1955, and antique textbooks.